Tis the Season!
And a special time to remember the story of Ebenezer Scrooge, and the lessons of kindness and greed that ring even more true today.
This past week I was enchanted by the production of A Christmas Carol, The Musical at the local community Coaster Theater in Cannon Beach, Oregon. The play delights with laughter and tears, and we are reminded of the message of the true holiday spirit.
Yet, it is more than just about Christmas. Although Dickens in A Christmas Carol artfully used the context of this holiday to share his observations and lessons, the tale can be played out throughout the year, regardless of any particular holiday season. We all know the story, but it’s one that needs to be repeated.
It is about valuing the other as much as self and being generous to those who may not have as much as we do.
It is a story of joy…in celebrating compassion, empathy towards others.
It is the belief that in doing good we all receive.
These are the principles of Conscientious Leaders, of Servant Leaders that need to be practiced every day, not just during the holiday season. Here are 10 recommendations for the workplace inspired by A Christmas Carol.
1. Listen with empathy to your staff. Understand their backstory.
2. Policies and procedures are important, but be open to circumstances that may require exceptions.
3. Support and put your staff first, showcasing their expertise, not just your own.
4. Share and celebrate staff successes with pride.
5. Check your own negativity. Adopt the glass is half full philosophy.
6. Give the benefit of the doubt, assuming good intent.
7. Share kudos and rewards you receive with all the staff.
8. Encourage a spirit of hope as there is always opportunity for change.
9. Get off the phone, computer, open your door and take the time to talk with your staff.
10. Smile and spread good will to all!